skype with garbled characters

Karol Kwiatkowski karol.kwiat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 11:02:48 PDT 2007

Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>       I am not able to use skype with FreeBSD 6.2.
>
>       It installs fine after a CVSup of the ports tree.
>
>       But whenever I try to run it, I get a screen like this.
>
>       http://koushikn.fastmail.fm/skype.png
>
>       All my efforts at resolving failed.

Hello Girish,

I've had similar problem[1] some time ago and it was solved since then.
Anyway, can you check your fonts.conf file? It should output something
like this:

% $ grep dir  /usr/compat/linux/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
% <!-- Font directory list -->
%         <dir>/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
%         <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

In my case fonts are located in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts. What about
your setup?

If that's the problem recompiling x11-fonts/linux-fontconfig should take
care of it.

Regards,

Karol

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=110632

--
Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>
OpenPGP 0x06E09309