top columns VCSW and IVCSW

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Sep 21 15:02:14 PDT 2007

In the last episode (Sep 21), Andreas Pettersson said:
> I couldn't find it in the man page and Google turned up with nothing
> of value so I ask here. What does the top (in IO mode) columns VCSW
> and IVCSW mean?

Voluntary and Involuntary context switches.  Voluntary ones are usually
due to syscalls that end up blocking (sleep, read, write, select etc).
Involuntary ones are done by the scheduler when the process has used up
its time slice or an interrupt fires.  Grep the kernel for "mi_switch"
to see places that switches can happen.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com