Cheaper backup mechnism for a server

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Fri Sep 21 02:08:48 PDT 2007

dhaneshk k wrote:
> Hi ;
>
> A general question pls excuse me
>
> can any body suggest a backup mechanism for a server machine , which
> has a web portal , email server ,PgSQL database 4GB size , DNS server,
> Mailman , and a mediawiki applications running in a single machine .
>
> Can you suggest good solutions , for the server Backup mechanism    so
> that I can restore all the data just before the crashing moment .
>
> pls share your expertise , it will help me lot  to secure my data in
> the server machine ..
>
> Thanks in Advance
> KK

Check out BackupPC - it will do rsync backups and store them very
intelligently on a remote box - you can set it to backup as often as you
like ...

It saved my ass when my FreeBSD co-lo server disk died - I had a backup
up to date as of midnight that let me restore the machine (I back it up
over a DSL line without problems)

John