End-of-life for my amd64 ?

NetOpsCenter noc at hdk5.net
Thu Sep 20 18:23:16 PDT 2007

Ivan Voras wrote:

> NetOpsCenter wrote:
>
>> I have been using FreeBSD 7.0  since Jan  8 2007  CURRENT on this box
>> which is a desktop for browsing and email  with a Dual core AMD CPU
>> setup.
>> It rocks.
>>
>> I use FreeBSD 7.0 Current on 2 small mailservers using 3 year old
>> hardware and it is rock solid. I believe the FreeBSD team has really
>> got their act together on this one.
>

> Are you using any of the new features in 7.x? SCHED_ULE, ZFS? Because
> my only 7.x production server that does crashes daily (luckily it's
> not a critical machine) and non-server machines are not far behind. If
> you're not using the "new" features, you could just as well run 6.x :)
>
> I'm actively trying to solve some of these problems, but from my
> experience (I do a lot of things that may be considered
> "experimental", but mostly userland-side, I run "vanilla" kernels) 7
> simply isn't stable yet. It might be in 7.0, but it's not yet.

I dont believe I use anything exotic. ZFS is not used either.

My needs are simple and I  have found 7 CURRENT works on several nic
cards that I had problems with using in previous versions.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc at hdk5.net +
  + http://internetohana.org   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +