Hard drive RPM

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Sep 19 17:51:32 PDT 2007

At 07:47 PM 9/19/2007, jekillen wrote:
>Hello;
>Is there a utility for measuring the effective RPM of a hard disk?
>A software tackometer?
>I have IDE drives, SATA drives, both 7200 and 10,000 RPM,
>as well as SCSI disks that are supposed to be running at 15k
>RPM. I noticed that on the hard drive labels, those on the disk
>case itself do not specifically indicate what speed they are supposed
>to operate at. The two 10k SATA drives only had labels on the
>antistatic packaging indicating that they are 10k drives. I would
>like to verify the speeds of these drives. I am hoping that this is
>not a case of misrepresentations that I have found on network
>attached hard disk storage devices and Firewire drives.
>I have one that was expressly advertised on the package to be
>120 Gb capacity, and in fact only 111Gb are available for storage.
>That is a 9 Gb discrepancy. A Fire wire drive I have is also designated
>as 120 Gb and actually only has 117 Gb usable capacity.
>Like 9Gb is enough for several operating systems. 3Gb is even
>enough for an operating system.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on this? (Storage device labeling,
>and specifically, RPM specs)
>
>I would ask the manufacturers but would be suspicious of bias
>
>Thanks in advance for responses.
>The hard drives in question are running on FreeBSD systems
>on homebuilt hardware. All AMD64 processors, ECS, Gigabyte,
>and ASUS motherboards, Hard drives are Western Digital IDE,
>SATA, and Seagate SCSI drives.
>
>Jeff K

Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility to check the drives speed and
performance.  Most of these utilities also give you the drive model and
serial number as well.  Look for a self-booting version that is a cd-rom
ISO, these usually run FreeDOS to easily access the hardware from a cd-rom
boot image.

         -Derek

>--
>believed to be clean.