remote [ssh] Backspace] key gives me "^?"

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Sep 16 11:12:05 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 08:40:00PM +0300, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >	I find that if I use Settings -> Keyboard and then select
> >	"FreeBSD Console", I come fairly close.  Then [Backspace]
> >	backs up, but the characters are not erased as I space
> >	backways.  UsingTerminal, it defaults to this.
> Characters are not erased for me when I hit backspace in vi. In vim,
> they are.

Yeah . . . I'm pretty sure that's normal behavior for vi/nvi.  Using
backspace, then hitting <ESC> to return to command mode, might cause the
backspace text to disappear.  Typing after backspacing might overwrite
the backspaced text without having to leave insert mode, too.  I'm going
on memory, here, and may be mistaken -- I didn't use nvi for very long
before going back to Vim.

W. Somerset Maugham: "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for
wit."