Lack of Core Dumps on signal 11

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Sep 16 10:17:10 PDT 2007

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4

The setup I have used for earlier versions to obtain core dumps on
processes that receive signals is no longer working.  /var/log/
messages no longer shows core dumped for the entries and nothing
appears in the core dump directory.  sysctl.conf has:

kern.sugid_coredump=1
kern.corefile=/usr/var/crash/%N.core

/usr/var/crash has permissions of 777.  There are no symlinks in the
path.  Symlinks didn't work in earlier versions.  I need to keep all
the core dumps in one directory so they can be found easily.
Otherwise they end up all over the place and are qutie difficult to
find.