Building a new workstation - dual or quad-core CPU for FreeBSD 7?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 15 14:59:21 PDT 2007

Josh Carroll wrote:
>> That's good to know.  You should be using libthr for threaded
>> performance though :)  That benchmark is probably almost all userland
>> though, so performance may not suffer much from libpthread.
>
> Oh I wasn't sure if libthr was the preferred thread library for 6.2
> also (I'd heard that was the case for -CURRENT).
>
> I should look into whether ffmpeg can be built with libthr instead and
> compare performance. Somewhat off topic, so I'll leave it at that, but
> thanks again for the great info. I'm really looking forward to
> 7.0-RELEASE, obviously :)

Yeah, it is preferred on 6.x too (libkse has truly atrocious
performance).  It's trivial to change it over, just add an entry to
/etc/libmap.conf:

libpthread.so.2 libthr.so.2

Kris