remote [ssh] Backspace] key gives me "^?"

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sat Sep 15 00:06:07 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 01:17:58AM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> On Saturday 15 September 2007 01:01:03 Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Sometimes when I ssh from a remote server and edit a file with
> > 	vi, my [Backspace keys] are not interpretered correctly.
> > 	Instead of erasing characters and backing up one byte and
> > 	clearing that character my cursor moves forward.
> >
> > 	Example: typing "This" as "thos" and backspacing to the 'o'
> > 	I'll see "thos^?^?"    Can anybody 'splain what idiot thing i'm
> > 	doing wrong and how to fix it?
> >
> > 	tia,
> >
> > 	gary
>
> Does this also happen when you use vim?
> I wonder if you are really using vi and not ee or some other editor.
> I had many problems with vi so I did 'touch .vimrc' in my home directory
>
> cd ~
> touch .vimrc
>
> I use vim rather than vi and if I remember correctly, when I first installed
> FreeBSD, 'vi' was actually a symlink to 'ee'.  I might be wrong about that.

	To you and Aryeh Friedmanboth, nope, no joy.  I was using the KDE
	Konsole and finally selected the "freebsd terminal"; now the
	"<-" key works, more/less."  With Konsole I can have the BEL
	('\007') sound; not with Terminal.  I am still very much in
	learning mode since I recently changed from CTWM to Gnome....

	tx, guys,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix