Good FreeBSD Supported Gigabit Ethernet Card?

Rob r17fbsd at xxiii.com
Fri Sep 14 07:45:07 PDT 2007

Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> No offence meant, but why would you like to upgrade a "home" network to
>> Gbit? Is it required at all?
>
> If all three items at home are trying to connect with/through this
> central box simultaneously, then you now have theoretically 600Mpbs

In my experience, 100Mb will net the theoretical max of 10MB/sec, but Gigabit only gets 30MB/sec on a good day.  Still, it's a worthwhile improvement.  As for "Why" - many home networks have multiple computers sharing large files like music & movies and need to move or back them up at reasonable speeds.

Buy Intel NICs.  They're only about $30, or cheaper used on Ebay.  Very well supported with Intel writing native FreeBSD drivers (see "man em").  And Intel generally doesn't make junk (with the P-4 as a possible exception.)

  -RW