FreeBSD 6.2 and VMWare ESX 3.x

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Thu Sep 13 13:46:12 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 11:23:49AM -0500, Bret J. Esquivel wrote:

> Has anyone successfully been able install FreeBSD on a ESX server? I

Yes, I have successfully installed FreeBSD i386 and amd64 on ESX 3.x.
The only problem I know of is that SMP only works with FreeBSD/amd64.

> to install on ESX it will not find the ESX SCSI controller and not allow
> an install.

When creating a new virtual machine I always choose "Other" or
"Other(64-bit)" as guest OS. The virtual SCSI Controller is "LSI Logic",
FreeBSD is version 6.x. Once the virtual system is running, I install
the VMware Tools from VMware Server 1.x.

Uwe