natd / ipfw services on internal interface

Joe josepha48 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 08:33:03 PDT 2007

I figured out what the problem was.  I had compiled my dhcp server with USE_SOCKETS and am NOT running in a jail.

After a lot of searching the bug reports I came across an old bug that said that USE_SOCKETS was added for jailed dhcp servers, because they do not have access to bpf.  It also said that compiling USE_SOCKETS into a non jailed dhcp server will have unpredictable results.

I found out that the server will behave badly like it is being sent through nat out our the wrong port.