php5-5.2.3_1 / website behaves as if not enabled in httpd.conf

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:51:54 PDT 2007

Dear Ian and others,

2007/9/12, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:23:19 +0200 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>  > 2007/9/12, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>:
>  > > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:19:32 +0200 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>  [..]
>  > No, it wasn't in there but I moved it to this section. There is no
>  > difference. I cannot start apache.
>  [..]
>  > > And check that /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp5.so exists!
>  >
>  > Everything is fine here. But I think now that the problem is not with
>  > apache but with php. It does not even matter if I do start or
>  > startssl. In both instances the httpd server dies. The reason I think
>  > it is php-related is that when I issue php -v I get:
>  >
>  > PHP 5.2.3 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: Sep 12 2007 08:59:52)
>  > Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
>  > Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies
>  > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Well it's broken for sure if php -v dumps .. and if php cli is broken
> most likely the module is too, which may well explain apache crashing ..
>
>  > pkg_info | grep php5
>  > php5-5.2.3_1        PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
>  >
>  > I do not really feel like upgrading apache (as suggested by someone
>  > else - thank you by the way) because it is just a home machine on
>  > which I do not need all the greatest and latest.
>  >
>  > If there's nothing obvious that comes to your mind I will try posting
>  > it on a php list.
>
> Sorry, I'm on digests here which can take half a day unless you cc me,
> so I hope you've made some progress by now .. no, nothing obvious, but:
>
> I'd be trying to separate these two problems: save configs, comment out
> all of the php stuff in httpd.conf and get your upgraded apache up and
> running properly first, then refetch / reinstall / reconfigure php5?

I commented out all extensions and then brought them in one by one.
The one which was causing core dumps was simplexml.so. I had a few
others that I had to comment as otherwise they were giving me trouble
(because of the simplexml being commented out I guess): pdo.so,
pdo_sqlite.so, spl.so, mysqli.so, sqlite.so.

I am not really worried about these. I am not really sure if I will
ever need them. So fine for the time being. php -v does not produce
core dumps and I can start apache.

There's only one problem left to be solved - files with php extensions
are not really shown in browser until I click RELOAD. Files with html
extensions are shown without the need to reload. Thanks for your
patience!

Zbigniew Szalbot