nvidia-driver rebooting machine on X startup

Philip M. Gollucci philip at ridecharge.com
Tue Sep 11 16:42:31 PDT 2007

Darren Spruell wrote:
> If this *is* an issue with the nvidia driver, is there a good way for
> us to alert Nvidia? Customer support, I guess?
I've had the same issue, but I think I solved it since its working for
me.  If I had to guess, this was Jul 27, 2007 that I went through this.

I did something similar or harder in May 2007, but the driver versions
were older then and so was the ports tree -- it was also on 6.2-release-p2.

uname -a
FreeBSD philip.hq.rws 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Jul 26
16:44:37 EDT 2007
root at philip.office.rws:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

nvidia0: <GeForce 8600 GTS> port 0xdc80-0xdcff mem
0xde000000-0xdeffffff,0xc0000000-0xcfffffff,0xdc000000-0xddffffff irq 16
at device 0.0 on pci1
nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
nvidia0: [ITHREAD]

ls -ld /var/db/pkg/nvidia*
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  -  512B Sep  4 18:34:47 2007
/var/db/pkg/nvidia-driver-100.14.11/

ls -1d /var/db/pkg/xorg-*
/var/db/pkg/xorg-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-apps-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-cf-files-1.0.2_2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-docs-1.3,1/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-drivers-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-truetype-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-fonts-type1-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-libraries-7.2_1/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-protos-7.2/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-server-1.2.0_2,1/
/var/db/pkg/xorg-server-1.2.99.903_1,1/

cat /var/db/ports/nvidia-driver/options
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# No user-servicable parts inside!
# Options for nvidia-driver-1.0.9746_5
_OPTIONS_READ=nvidia-driver-1.0.9746_5
WITHOUT_FREEBSD_AGP=true
WITHOUT_VM86_INT10CALL=true
WITHOUT_ACPI=true
WITH_LINUX=true

grep LINUX /etc/make.conf
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=fc6

grep compat /etc/sysctl.conf
compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16

cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver-100>
find .
.
./files
./files/pkg-message.in
./Makefile
./distinfo
./pkg-descr
./pkg-plist

I believe I deleted all the patch files here other then you see listed
and tweaked the Makefile accordingly.

I also edited the source code to remove a #ifdef around FreeBSD 7.x so
that it used the 6.x version even though its on 7.x. (argument list to
the function was wrong) This might be fixed by now.  This was a hard
compile error though, not the coredumps and reboots

I do know this drove me f'ing bonkers when I tried to set this and was
going to file a PR but $work never game me time.

Philip M. Gollucci (philip at ridecharge.com) c:323.219.4708 o:703.749.9295x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.