nvidia-driver rebooting machine on X startup

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 15:08:11 PDT 2007

Mel wrote:
> There's 3 things left I can think of:
> - weird module clash
> - bug in nvidia-driver (I assume you're running Xorg 7.x)
> - driver was not built against running kernel

I'm seeing a similar problem, but my system spontaneously reboots
whenever it uses any 3D - for example any of the 3D xscreensaver modules
in full screen mode.   I'm running 7.0-CURRENT and just realised I have
PREEMPTION enabled since it's now in GENERIC.  I remember a while ago
this caused stability problems with the nvidia driver - does anyone know
if this could still be a problem?   I think there's more going on
however, since the driver doesn't seem to know about my card during
bootup (it shows <Unknown>) though it clearly does find it when starting
Xorg.   Going back to the nvidia-driver-96xx port appears to fix the
problems, and that driver does know what nVidia card I'm using during boot.

--
Bruce Cran