Best SCSI or SAS RAID for a NAS?

Mike Sweetser - Adhost mikesw at adhost.com
Tue Sep 11 13:09:33 PDT 2007

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

> Its not just the controller you should be checking.
> The drives RPM speed, how many drives in the array,
> are you using RAID 0+1 or just RAID 5 for the array.
> Could you give more details on these issues?

The array's running RAID 10 with basically the minimum drives for RAID
10; drives are 15K SCSI.  I'd think this would be enough.

> no RAID controller, lots of cheap disks and thinking
> about how to RIGHT set UP gmirror/gstripe/gconcat will
> give you best performance.

The concern is that this array is mounted over NFS by a number of
different servers, all with constant read/write, so this is why we need
throughput as high as we can get.  Right now, we're only getting a
fraction of the performance we theoretically should be getting.

Mike Sweetser

Mike Sweetser | Systems Administrator

Adhost Internet
140 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 360, Seattle, Washington 98109 USA
P 206.404.9023    T 888.234.6781 (ADHOST-1)    F 206.404.9050
E mikesw at adhost.com    W adhost.com

Our brand new Adhost West data center is open - contact us for a tour at
1-888-234-6781 (ADHOST-1)

> We're looking for opinions on what the best RAID controller would be
for