Disk errors when copying

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Sep 10 16:32:44 PDT 2007

geometry is meaningless in LBA mode.

The drive and BIOS mfgr agree on a convenient fiction to
reduce support calls.

Don't forget that running under FreeDOS your running in
real mode not protected mode.  In real mode the segmented
BIOS functions are actually used and it could be they are
even used for addressing the disk, and the disk controller
chipset emulates a MFM controller.  (esentially)

In the protected mode UNIX runs in, most of that BIOS code
is useless, the disk driver talks directly to the disk
controller chipset.  There is probably some undocumented
misbehavior that Microsoft got told about and so put it in
their disk driver code, but that the FreeBSD developers didn't
get told about.

Ted