apache22 web root directive

Eric eric at mikestammer.com
Sun Sep 9 19:03:07 PDT 2007

Robert Huff wrote:
> Eric writes:
>
>>  Is there a directive to add to make.conf or anywhere else to tell
>>  ports what directory my webroot is? when i was running apache20,
>>  things like mailgraph installed files in the proper
>>  location. Recently I just updated to apache22 and now mailmail
>>  still insists on creating directories under the old directory
>>  layout. is this a mailgraph port problem or do I have a missing
>>  directive somewhere telling ports where my document root is?
>
> 	Let me see if I understand:
> 	You're running apache22, with DocumentRoot and/or ServerRoot in
> a non-standard location.  Because of this, a third-party application
> is malfunctioning.
> 	You are looking for a single way for that and other
> applications to tell at run-time where the new location is.
> 	No such critter, as far as I know.  For those applications that
> accept environment variables of command-lind switches, it should be
> trivial to write a wrapper script to parse httpd,conf and provide
> the correct information.
> 	For a compile-time switch, portupgrade users can use
> pkgtools.cfg; others will have to look elsewhere.

close, but I am not running in a non standard DocumentRoot as far as I
know. its set to apache22's /usr/local/www/apache22/data, which is the
default, but if you look at the mailgraph Makefile, it uses
/usr/local/www/data for the install.

the more i look at it, the more it seems like its a mailgraph issue.

i guess I am curious of the apache20 default of /usr/local/www/data was
around so long its just what everyone assumes, but from what I can tell,
thats not the recommended practice. isnt it better to install to
/usr/local/www/mailgraph and then alias things?

I included the maintainer to see if this is the case and perhaps the
Makefile should be changed and or post install instructions can be updated

Eric