csh if..then delhema.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Sep 9 13:31:19 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 10:12:15PM +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Sunday 09 September 2007 21:35:40 Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > Haha :)

> > > `foreach' is a csh construct.  If you copied the case/esac code posted
> > > by Garrett, then it wouldn't work.  The syntax used by Garrett was for
> > > the Bourne shell (hence the /bin/sh reference above case).
> > >
> > > If you are going to convert everything to /bin/sh, you may as well
> > > convert it to Perl unless there is some very good reason to use only
> > > the pretty minimal data-structures supported by the Bourne shell
> > > (i.e. because you want to run the script in environments where Perl
> > > may be too much to require).
> >
> > 	Do any of you gents know if there is a converter that turns
> > 	Bo[u]rne (:-)) shell into perl?  Years ago there was
> > 	commericalware (i Think) that took /bin/sh to C.  Maybe Ii'm
> > 	mis-remembering.  I've googled aroud and find zip, so maybe I
> > 	was in some kind of coma-zone.
> >
> > 	At any rate, for simple unix scripts, /bin/sh (aka "a-shell", ash)
> > 	or ksh or zsh is the way to go.  Simple == a few lines.
> > 	For anything grittier, perl wins any time.
>
> Perl looses when /usr isn't mounted. That's the primary argument against using
> anything other then /bin/sh (including bash). All the rest is preference.

	This iswhy I used to have zsh in /bin; "used to"--I've gotten
	complacent.  But with the recent panic in '04 or '05, and now
	that I'm moving to Garrett's beefed up Dell, it is time to
	get real again.

	gary, (Sundays are for the joys-of-hacking!) kline

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix