csh if..then delhema.

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Sep 9 12:36:29 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 04:17:21PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-09-09 08:57, Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the input gentlemen,
> > Interesting to that the question was posted by G(rant) and then
> > answered by G(ary), G(arrett) and G(iorgos)! (what are the odds!).
>
> Haha :)
>
> > Anywho, I am busily converting the script to perl as per the
> > suggestions. I use tcsh rarely, had I of known the quirks I woul shave
> > done it in perl from the beguining.
> >
> > As for Garrett's case method, it didnt work. Created a "case: Too many
> > arguments." error. Perhaps because it itself is nested in a 'foreach'
> > statement.
>
> `foreach' is a csh construct.  If you copied the case/esac code posted
> by Garrett, then it wouldn't work.  The syntax used by Garrett was for
> the Bourne shell (hence the /bin/sh reference above case).
>
> If you are going to convert everything to /bin/sh, you may as well
> convert it to Perl unless there is some very good reason to use only
> the pretty minimal data-structures supported by the Bourne shell
> (i.e. because you want to run the script in environments where Perl
> may be too much to require).

	Do any of you gents know if there is a converter that turns
	Bo[u]rne (:-)) shell into perl?  Years ago there was
	commericalware (i Think) that took /bin/sh to C.  Maybe Ii'm
	mis-remembering.  I've googled aroud and find zip, so maybe I
	was in some kind of coma-zone.

	At any rate, for simple unix scripts, /bin/sh (aka "a-shell", ash)
	or ksh or zsh is the way to go.  Simple == a few lines.
	For anything grittier, perl wins any time.

	(And to save thebillions of flames that perl sux because it is
	hard to read (blah, blah, blah), **comment your code**.   )
	Other flame to /dev/null, guys.

	(G)ary  [[ funny, jeez ]], LOL.

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix