UserID/Samba issue for wheel group members - newbie poster

Bronte Averay averay at adam.com.au
Fri Sep 7 15:26:13 PDT 2007

Derek Ragona wrote:
> At 05:05 AM 9/7/2007, Bronte Averay wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Firstly, apologies if this email appears more than once, just getting
>> used to the protocols.
>>
>> I have an interesting but frustrating issue that I've not been able to
>> diagnose and/or resolve.
>>
>> Scenario:
>>
>> FreeBSD 6.1 Release fileserver (generic kernel) running samba-2.2.12_2.
>>
>> Desktops are Windows XP SP2, all up to date patch-wise, mapping
>> various Samba shares.
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> When I run smbstatus, all users that are members of the wheel group
>> show a UID of root and a GID of <username>.
>>
>> Users who are not members of the wheel group show a UID of <username>
>> and a GID of <username>.  Equally, removing a user from the wheel
>> group reverts them to <username>/<username> UID/GID at next logon.
>>
>> I have two sites running identical hardware/software configurations at
>> both server and desktop level.  But on the second site, members of the
>> wheel group have a UID of <username> and a GID of <username>, which is
>> precisely as it should be, based on passed experiences.
>>
>> I'll take this opportunity to mention that I also have a 4.11 server,
>> again with some wheel group members, and in this case too, UID and GID
>> for these wheel group members are <username> and <username>.
>>
>> I've kept this as simple as I could, but would happily provide more
>> info if I've omitted anything critical or relevant.
>>
>> The issue is not causing any specific operational issues, but is
>> annoying when I want to use smbstatus -u<username> as I obviously get
>> no result for wheel group members unless I specify a username of root,
>> then I get more than I care to.
>>
>> If there's an obvious issue, and you wish to spare me embarrassment,
>> feel free to contact me directly, with the obvious adjustments.  If
>> etiquette is that a response to the list is appropriate, I can live
>> with the shame :) .
>>
>> I've extensively searched but can't find a match to my specific
>> circumstances.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance of any suggestions.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bronte.
>
> You don't say how you are managing the users.  Is the samba server
> acting as a domain controller?  Are you creating the accounts
> automatically or manually?
>
>         -Derek

Thanks Derek.

Server is acting as a domain controller, yes.  Most accounts were
created manually (i.e. at server console) on an earlier version of
FreeBSD (4.10-STABLE) (including smbpasswd accounts). The pwd.db,
master.passwd and /etc/group files were *copied* from 4.10 server to new
6.1 server.  I had to recreate the smbpasswd accounts manually on the
new server.

New users added to wheel group since the 6.1 install exhibit same
root/<username> GID/PID problem.

I should point out that precisely the same process was followed on the
second site I mentioned earlier, but no problems of this type are evident.