Newbie questions about updating

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Sep 7 10:37:05 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 12:26:40PM -0500, cothrige wrote:

> On 9/7/07, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:53:09AM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry.  What I really had in mind was the ports tree itself, which I
> > > had an option during install to add.  BTW, I answered yes to this and
> > > so had that which was on the 6.2 install disc.  Based on the other
> > > maybe I should have skipped that and then added the ports after the
> > > install using cvsup or such.  This is certainly a good thing to know
> > > for the future, though as of right now I am dealing with the disc
> > > install method.
> >
> > No.  You were right to choose yes.
> > That just installs the ports tree skeleton.   It does not install
> > any actual ports.   Then when you do a csup tag=. for the ports tree,
> > then it updates that tree.   But you would still have to update
> > the ports from the tree that you have chosen to install.
>
> What exactly is the best method for the new install when it comes to
> ports?  I should say yes to installing the ports tree, but then how
> should I go forward at that point?  For instance, should I immediately
> run csup when booting into the new system before actually installing
> anything from ports?  Will that speed things up in the end, or make
> for greater stability?

That is what I do.   Actually, I csup the OS because it may have
updates on it that are needed - security fixes mostly and also
ports and even doc right then before doing any other installing.
Some people don't even install Xorg until doing the csup.  I haven't
been quite that hard core, but it isn't a bad idea.

> > The ports tree from one version of the OS to the next is not
> > particularly different.  It is just instructions on how to get
> > the source and build the port (including dependant ports).  It
> > gets a little out of date now and then as the list of files that
> > need to be downloaded or build procedured change, so it need
> > a csup update now and then.   But what that csup does is update
> > the skeleton, not the actual ports.   That is a subsequent step.
>
> Cool, that makes sense.  I suppose right now it is a matter of
> figuring out just getting used to how to handle the system and know
> that I am carrying out the correct steps, or at least the most
> reliable steps, in the most beneficial order.

Yup.

////jerry