Lost console when exiting X

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Fri Sep 7 09:54:35 PDT 2007

This is just a "Me Too".

On 09/03/2007 11:37, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm running 6.2-RELEASE, and recently installed Xorg.  I've been using
> Fluxbox as my window manager, and everything has been working fine until
> recently.  I cannot think of any major changes I've made to create this
> problem.
>
> Here's what happens.  Once in a while (I can't reproduce the problem by
> doing anything specific), I exit X, and my TTY does not come back.  I've
> verified the system has not crashed by SSHing in to the system -- where
> I can `startx`, and the X session resumes.  I've tried
> [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Backspace], which does kill the X session, but TTY does
> not resume as expected.
>
> I am using an nVidia GeForce 5500MX with the x11/nvidia-drivers,
> x11/nvidia-settings, and x11/nvidia-xconfig ports.  Fluxbox and all Xorg
> dependencies are also installed from ports.  (Yes, I did update my ports
> tree before installing.)
>
> The only change I've made to my xorg.conf was:
> 	Section	"Extensions"
> 		Option	"Composite"	"Enable"
> 	EndSection

I too have noticed this, though a slight variation.  If I have composite
enbabled *and* I run xcompmgr... I have your very symptoms everytime I
shutdown X.  If I leave composite enabled (and no xcompmgr) I can get
out of X just fine.

This without a doubt began (for me) when I upgraded to Xorg 7.x.

I have not had time to look into it further.

[Using ATI mobility 7500]

--
Regards,
Eric