UserID/Samba issue for wheel group members - newbie poster

Bronte Averay averay at adam.com.au
Fri Sep 7 04:56:36 PDT 2007

Hello all,

Firstly, apologies if this email appears more than once, just getting
used to the protocols.

I have an interesting but frustrating issue that I've not been able to
diagnose and/or resolve.

Scenario:

FreeBSD 6.1 Release fileserver (generic kernel) running samba-2.2.12_2.

Desktops are Windows XP SP2, all up to date patch-wise, mapping various
Samba shares.

Problem:

When I run smbstatus, all users that are members of the wheel group show
a UID of root and a GID of <username>.

Users who are not members of the wheel group show a UID of <username>
and a GID of <username>.  Equally, removing a user from the wheel group
reverts them to <username>/<username> UID/GID at next logon.

I have two sites running identical hardware/software configurations at
both server and desktop level.  But on the second site, members of the
wheel group have a UID of <username> and a GID of <username>, which is
precisely as it should be, based on passed experiences.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that I also have a 4.11 server,
again with some wheel group members, and in this case too, UID and GID
for these wheel group members are <username> and <username>.

I've kept this as simple as I could, but would happily provide more info
if I've omitted anything critical or relevant.

The issue is not causing any specific operational issues, but is
annoying when I want to use smbstatus -u<username> as I obviously get no
result for wheel group members unless I specify a username of root, then
I get more than I care to.

If there's an obvious issue, and you wish to spare me embarrassment,
feel free to contact me directly, with the obvious adjustments.  If
etiquette is that a response to the list is appropriate, I can live with
the shame :) .

I've extensively searched but can't find a match to my specific
circumstances.

Many thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Regards,

Bronte.