wrong permission / files get 640

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu Sep 6 22:25:12 PDT 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A web directory is chmod 755 but all files which I upload into it by
> default get 640 permission which means web users cannot read it, which
> means I have to manually change the permissions to 644. Is there any
> mask I can set on that directory so that files get 644 when uploaded?
>
> Directory permissions:
> drwxr-xr-x  2 slowo  slowo  2048 Sep  7 06:31 pdz
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Zbigniew Szalbot

This looks like a umask problem.
What are you using to upload the files? For example proftpd FTP server
has a setting to control umask which by default will create world and
group readable files (umask 022). If you are using something else, you
may want to check the configuration file for a similar setting. If this
is a user's home directory, you may also wish to check umask settings in
the shell startup files.