can't `make index` on 4.11-STABLE

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Sep 6 12:24:35 PDT 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007, Sean Ellis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem trying to `make index` on a machine running
> 4.11-STABLE after cvsup-ing the ports tree.

The port tree is no longer supported for anything less than version
5-stable. The last working tag is RELEASE_4_EOL.

> I'll paste the error in below. It is with a multimedia package. If it
> makes any difference, I don't need any multimedia on this computer.
>
> Alternately, any links to a howto about ugrading this to 6 STABLE
> would be appreciated.

Going from 4.x to 6.x, you are probably much better off doing a clean
install. Change the HDs from ufs to ufs2. Without the clean install,
you have too much crufty stuff left behind, such as the thread change.
In addition, there was a massive change at 5.1 +/- that building and
installing in the wrong order would leave your system unusable. I think
you could recover with the fixit disk but doing a clean install
bypasses all of the problems :).

I don't think going to 6.x is supported, so, going to 5-stable and then
6-stable will take a lot of time. Even a 6.2-release CD has the old
version of xorg on it and rebuilding everything to 7.2 is a massive
enterprise.

Install 6.2 and get all of the packages from freebsd.org.

Kent

> Thanks, here is the error:
>
> [10:42am] [/usr/ports]make index
> Generating INDEX-4 - please
> wait.."/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound/../../multimedia/gst
>reamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 392: Malformed conditional
> (${gst_${GST_PLUGIN}_GCONF_SCHEMAS}!="")
> "/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound/../../multimedia/gstreamer
>-plugins/Makefile.common", line 396: Malformed conditional
> (${gst_${GST_PLUGIN}_USE_SDL}!="")
> "/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound/../../multimedia/gstreamer
>-plugins/Makefile.common", line 398: if-less endif
> "/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound/../../multimedia/gstreamer
>-plugins/Makefile.common", line 398: Need an operator
> "/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound/../../multimedia/gstreamer
>-plugins/Makefile.common", line 419: if-less endif
> "/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound/../../multimedia/gstreamer
>-plugins/Makefile.common", line 419: Need an operator make: fatal
> errors encountered -- cannot continue
> ===> audio/gstreamer-plugins-esound failed
> *** Error code 1
>

> Sean Ellis

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA