Hello

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Sep 6 08:11:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 12:33:42PM +0100, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:

> Dear list members.
>
> I just wanted to say hi to all of you. My name is Gabriel, and I have
> just been setting up a FreeBSD server at work, having moved from Linux.
>
> There are just a couple of things that aren't working quite as I
> would like, and I was hoping someone might be kind enough to help me
> out. I've been using the FreeBSD handbook, and I must say it is quite
> superb, and makes starting with FreeBSD much easier.
>
> Using sysinstall I enabled anonymous FTP, with uploads allowed in the
> folder /incoming. Uploading works a treat, however the files don't
> have permissions to be downloaded again (by anon user). I know I
> could change this by executing a cron job every two minutes that
> would chmod the files in /incoming. But surely there must be a far
> better way...? The FreeBSD handbook says it doesn't recommend
> allowing anon users to d/load files uploaded anonymously, however I
> would still like to implement this.

What they are trying to do is reduce the chance that a SM will
create a system where anyone in the world can upload stuff and
then, without any checking of the stuff, anyone in the world
can download it.    Eg.  They are trying to force you to at least
notice the file before making it available for download.

This is to reduce the incidence of evil minded creatures using your
machine for their despicable plots of distributing dangerous files
and software around the net.

So, what you are supposed to do is make two separate directories -
one for upload and one for download.   Then you check each uploaded
file for mal-ware before moving it to the download space with
the needed permissions.   You can use the same directory, but do
not leave out the step of checking the file content before setting
permissions to allow download.

But, it is better to use separate directories so people doing a
download don't have to wade through the swamp of uploaded, and
not approved/checked stuff.

Of course, some people will point out that FTP is on the outs now
anyway and will recommend other ways of doing things.  Pay attention
to that.   But, sometimes FTP still fills a need.

////jerry