RAID Controller Recommendations: ARC-1210 or 9650SE-4LPML

brad davison demonichandextensions at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 19:37:16 PDT 2007

>Hello,
>
>My two main candidates are Areca ARC-1210, and 3ware 9650SE-4LPML.
>Both are 4-lane SATA II controllers. Both cost about the same, and
>from what I gather, both should be supported by FreeBSD. I read the
>reviews, but would like to get some additional feedback specifically
>for using the two under FreeBSD (maybe one has better drivers... I
>don't know).

I just put a 3ware Escalade into our mail server.  I don't have experience
with the model you are speaking of, but I know that 3ware and BSD have a
good long history together.  I had no problems with the controller (but I
did have a strange issue with some Seagate drives, replacing them with
Western Digitals fixed that though.)

>RAID5? Which one has more mature drivers? If you have some other
>recommendations, I'm happy to hear those as well.

Like I mentioned, I had no problems with the 3ware, and it had good driver
support in BSD.

from the 3ware website:::  http://www.3ware.com/support/OS-Support.asp
9650SE Series

    * FreeBSD 5.0 driver source available in 9.4.1 code set
    * FreeBSD 6.0 driver source available in 9.4.1 code set
    * FreeBSD 6.1 (x86 & x86_64)

Take it easy,
Brad