Nginx + FastCGI + PHP5 on FreeBSD 6.2

Peter Pluta peter at placidpublishing.net
Wed Sep 5 18:04:37 PDT 2007

Has anyone sucessfully got this running? I haven't been able to get this to
work. I've looked at the numerous guides i've found on Google both in
Russian and in English. I'm trying to use php's default fastcgi spawner and
it's just not working. I've tried editing the bash script, but it won't
start (I changed few things around and changed it to sh). I'm pretty much
stumped now and want to just run it on Apache with mod_fcgid, but before I
do that I want to be sure I can't get it to work. :working:

Script:
#!/bin/sh

## ABSOLUTE path to the PHP binary
PHPFCGI="/usr/local/bin/php-cgi"

## tcp-port to bind on
FCGIPORT="9000"

## IP to bind on
FCGIADDR="127.0.0.1"

## number of PHP children to spawn
PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=2

## number of request before php-process will be restarted
PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS=500

# allowed environment variables sperated by spaces
ALLOWED_ENV="PATH USER"

## if this script is run as root switch to the following user
USERID=nginx

################## no config below this line

if test x$PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN = x; then
  PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=5
fi

ALLOWED_ENV="$ALLOWED_ENV PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN"
ALLOWED_ENV="$ALLOWED_ENV PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS"
ALLOWED_ENV="$ALLOWED_ENV FCGI_WEB_SERVER_ADDRS"

if test x$UID = x0; then
  EX="usr/bin/su -c $USERID \"$PHPFCGI -q -b $FCGIADDR:$FCGIPORT\""
else
  EX="$PHPFCGI -b $FCGIADDR:$FCGIPORT"
fi

echo $EX

# copy the allowed environment variables
E=

for i in $ALLOWED_ENV; do
done

# clean environment and set up a new one
nohup env - $E sh -c "$EX" &> /dev/null &

If anyone has a better method of getting it to work please do share it. I'd
like to get it to work and possibly write a small guide aim'd at FreeBSD
users.

Thanks,
Sasha