/usr/ports & portupgrade when only using packages

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Wed Sep 5 10:06:51 PDT 2007

I need to set up a system that can only use packages.   I've always used
ports, so I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing things properly.

Should I (do I need to) use portsnap to populate /usr/ports?  Unless I
really need something that doesn't have a pkg available, I will not be
using ports.

I've always used portupgrade, and plan to do so, using -PP (only
packages) for this setup.  My first question is should I?

Doing'pkg_add -r portupgrade' and it installed fine.
Using pkgdb -F however, resulted in these messages:

bsd# pkgdb -F
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports
---->  Chcecking the package registry database

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,