6.2 Hangs Probing Floppy During Boot

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Sep 5 08:40:07 PDT 2007

I recently noted this problem and thought it was related to a new MOBO I'd just installed.
I've now seen the exact same problem with an old MOBO when I loaded FBSD 6.2.  IOW,
the following appears to be a 6.2 artifact:

  During the boot probe, FreeBSD 6.2 (Release or -STABLE) hangs for several minutes
  while probing the floppy.  Eventually, it does get through it, but it takes
  a loooong time.  Disabling the floppy in the machine BIOS makes the problem
  go away because FBSD sees no floppy to probe, but that's not an optimal
  soltion.

I DAGS and saw that others have seen this same problem but could not find a
solution anywhere ...

TIA,