no SMP without ACPI? (amd64)

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Sep 4 22:40:52 PDT 2007

Hi

I have a 6.2R system (amd64) with the latest patch level.

The motherboard is a Tyan S5197 i3110 based board with a Core 2 Quad
2.4 ghz processor.  There is 4GB of memory and an Areca ARC-1231ML
raid card.

The problem is that I have to boot without ACPI or the system will
randomly reboot itself when doing something. It will sit idle for
ages but if I do a system build (make buildworld for example), it
usually will not make it through without rebooting.  If I boot
without ACPI support (#2 in the boot loader), then the system is
fine, I can do a billion builds without incident, except that I only
get 1 CPU.  (Yes, the kernel has SMP option built in).

I would really like to run with all 4 cores but cannot run with ACPI
at the moment due to instability.

Any suggestions?  Any way to get "old-style" SMP detection working
(ie, without ACPI)?

Thanks
Chad

---