troubling configuring wireless nic

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Sep 4 09:59:52 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 18:18:34 Terrence Wilson wrote:
> This is my first time experimenting with FreeBSD and UNIX-based systems
> in general.

Welcome :)
There's a few gotcha's in your email, normal for your first experience. I
suggest you first read:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/permissions.html

(and it certainly won't hurt to read the entire chapter on UNIX basics)
followed by:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-tuning.html

And then specifically for your card:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

If you still cannot get it to work, please include specific information:
- whether the driver is available (pciconf -lv output)
- what wireless protocol you are using (WEP/WPA/foo)
- what you have tried from the wireless networking chapter and where it fails.

--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.