how to access dvdrom drive

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Sep 3 17:16:18 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-03 19:51, Terrence Wilson <tjw43 at drexel.edu> wrote:
> I have just installed free bsd and trying to access my dvdrom drive. I
> issued the command: "mount /dev/acd0 /cdrom" but I got a message
> stating "incorrect super block." What is the correct method for
> accessing the files on my dvd rom.

The default "filesystem type" used by mount is "ufs", so you are trying
to mount the DVD disk as a "UFS filesystem".

It is certainly possible to create a DVD disk with a UFS filesystem,
but the most common format for storing data in DVD disks is the
filesystem known as "cd9660", so you may have to use:

    mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

More details about creating and using CD-ROM disks, and DVD-ROM disks
can be found in our Handbook.  You can read the relevant sections at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html

When you find the time, please feel free to skim through the rest of the
Handbook too.  It contains a huge wealth of information about using
FreeBSD, and I'm sure you will find a lot of interestings bit there.

- Giorgos