FreeBSD time servers and Windows clients

takhoos at hotmail.com takhoos at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 2 03:53:24 PDT 2007

Hi all,
   I have one FreeBSD NTP server which syncs all my server clocks.   Getting the NTP server running was a piece of cake following the instructions in the online handbook.  Recently I was asked to sync a bunch of windows machines (10 of them) to my NTP server.   Now I'm not a windows person, so I asked one of the windows people to figure out his side since my side was up and running.   He wrote this little .bat file to run on the windows boxes to be sync'd.   Its pretty straight forward....just save it as a .bat file (time.bat) and run it from your XP box.   Make sure to enter your NTP IP address where the x's are below.     It seems to work fine for us.   Your mileage may vary.  There may be better/easier ways of doing this, but this is what works ok for us....

Here's the .bat file....use it at your own risk....

@echo Updating Time Service....
@echo.
@echo.
@echo off
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,0x8 /syncfromflags:manual
w32tm /config /update
@echo Restarting Time Service
@echo.
@echo.