extracting 7_bit_ascii from ms_word files

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Oct 31 20:51:54 PDT 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, spellberg_robert wrote:

> my application is to exchange text files, by e_mail,
>  with someone who thinks ms products are the be_all and end_all

> i am not looking for something wonderful,
>  just reasonably competent and reasonably current.
> if, in addition to my desired direction,
>  i can convert a 7_bit_ascii to a ".doc" file for his benefit,
>  that's some further whining that i can avoid.

AbiWord and OpenOffice.org will both read and write Word .doc files.
OO is larger and probably more capable of handling weird things to be
found in a .doc file.  AbiWord is smaller and quicker and will likely
handle everyday .doc files fine.

If the files you send can be read-only, consider using PDF.

> while 6.2 and, soon, 7.x are de rigeur,
>  if it works on 4.11 [ very long story ], that's a plus.

You may find old packages for either AbiWord or OpenOffice.org, but I
don't know where to look.  For the best support, you should consider
upgrading to either 6.2 or 7.0.