ipfw -- why need to let icmp out that I already let in?

freebsd at dreamchaser.org freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Wed Oct 31 12:55:49 PDT 2007

Are you sure you don't have some other rule which is letting those returned
packets out the other port?  When I substitute your rule for my two:
   ipfw delete 10531
   ipfw delete 10532
   ipfw add 10531 allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 0,3,11,12 in

The returning packets are dropped inside the firewall.  (traceroute still
works from the firewall itself, but not from an internal machine).

Gary