Newby Question: What to do when one port can't recognize another port?

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Oct 31 04:08:01 PDT 2007

On October 29, 2007 at 05:22PM Jeff D wrote:

> I've decided to try to build up my 1st FreeBSD server.
>
> Reading the Handbook is mostly helpful, but I' getting hit with a couple of
> problems I can't figure out.
>
> I was looking for a beginner's list.  I think this is the closest to it.
>
> The main reason I'm trying out FreeBSD is because I want to set up my own
> web server, and the Ports seemed liked a way to do it that manages conflicts
> & dependencies better even that Linux systems.  Not being much of a program
> guy, that sounds good to me!
>
> When I try to install the Apache port in /usr/ports/www/apache22, it errors
> out with
>
> IGNORED
> Unknown Berkeley DB version
>
> After checking on the Oracle site, I made sure to install the latest, most
> up to date /usr/ports/databases/db46 port.  It seems to have worked and I
> can use it in other ports.
>
> I'm not sure where to turn next.
>
> Anybody got some advice to share?

I had a similar problem. I used the following knobs:

WITH_DBM=bdb
WITH_BERKELEYDB=db44

I installed the latest version of of DB, version db46 and changed the know
accordingly, When I attempted to reinstall the port, I received the same
message you are receiving. It appears that the port will not accept the db46
version. I read the ports Makefile, and version db46 is not listed. I did
contact the port maintainer regarding this; however, I never received a reply.
I am thinking of filing a PR.

In any case, I went back to using the older version, db44,  without any problems.

--
Gerard