Dangers of using a non-base shell

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Tue Oct 30 09:10:18 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007, Stephen Allen wrote:
>It's been drawn to my attention not to use bash from the ports
>collection, because if one of it's dependencies (gettext or libiconv)
>fails or is updated significantly, it could break, and prevent login.
>The suggested solution was to use a base shell (such as sh) and append
>'bash -l' to .shrc to automatically enter bash.
>
>The quite annoying side-effect is having to type 'exit' twice to get out
>of a su shell or screen.

Try using ``exec'' to start these which will replace your current
shell with the one being exec'ed.

Bill

Many companies that have made themselves dependent on [the equipment of a
certain major manufacturer] (and in doing so have sold their soul to the
devil) will collapse under the sheer weight of the unmastered complexity of
their data processing systems.
		-- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5