Greeter application missing (??) gdm login ?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Oct 29 14:54:26 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:13:55PM -0600, James wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >
> >         Well, I managed to hose my gnome config *thoroughly*.  Can
> >         anybody clue me in how to set things right?
> >
> >         /home is now where /usr/home was before.  I have a dummy
> >         acccolunt that when I typr (as root) kdm, KDE starts up.
> >         But trying gdm (or automating this in /etc/rc.conf) gets me
> >         nowhere.  I deleted ~/.gnome2 thinking that itwould be rebuilt on
> >         my next login. Nope.  --i Also messed with the login screen
> >         andnow I see a large daisy on the lower right.  There is a dialog
> >         about my missing some files in /var/tmp.
> >
> >         Any/all insights welcome here!
> >
> >         gary
> >

> > --
> >   Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
> >       http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

> Have you tried following the handbook's setup tips again?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
>
> I don't *imagine* that'll get it, and you should make sure that your xinitrc
> doesn't contain two copies of the line, but it mightn't be bad to start at
> the beginning.
>
> James

	Thanks for the pointer to the handbook;  I never have done much
	Gnome setup work.  I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade alll
	four BSD servers to the lastest Gnome.  A fault in portupgrade
	caused me to pkg_delete kde3, so I'm rebuuilding that too.  ...At
	least, after hours of pounding keys, the computers are doing the
	work.

	(*whew*)

	gary

--