Recommended servers for FreeBSD

Andrew Wasilczuk andrew at darq.com
Sun Oct 28 18:37:16 PDT 2007

Hi John,

> Check out ixsystems.com. They build and support servers particularly for
> FreeBSD (and other lesser unix-like OSes) and are competitively priced. The
> pre-sales engineer I talked to definitely had a clue so you should be able
> to make a good decision before you give them any money. :)

They look good, but I would prefer somebody in the UK since that's where
I'm based.

> If you're more of a do-it-yourself person then servers built around
> supermicro boards should be reasonably compatible, but you'll want to
> verify the network and storage chipsets beforehand if they're onboard.

I run two legacy supermicro boxes and they seem fine.  One of the
reasons I use a lot of IBM is that if anything goes wrong they will send
an engineer and fix it reasonably quick, where with DIY I don't have that
kind of comfort.

> HP ProLiant servers are generally decent. The onboard RAID is usually
> supported by the ciss driver.

I haven't dealt with HP yet, but I'm starting to seriously consider them.
How is good is their support when things go wrong?

Cheers,

Andrew.

--
  __/_/_  w: http://darq.com/