Sendmail and SMTP AUTH, I need a hand

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu Oct 25 15:28:27 PDT 2007

> Hi,
>

> I tried to activate the SMTP AUTH in Sendmail
> following the steps of the man page
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.
> html).
>
> Everythigns was ok, but...
>

> If on the client (Outlook Express or MS Outlook)
> is activated "My server requires authentication" the SMTP AUTH occurs
> and the mail is sent but if this option is disabled the mail is sent
> too.

I can't really help on the config side of things, but:

Are all of your clients under the domain you have listed in the access
file?

That essentially (AFAIR) means allow anyone sending from this domain
to relay through me, no matter what, which (again AFAIR) means that
any domain listed in that file can relay through you, even if I slap
your domain into my mail client on my own IP address (please correct
if wrong).

If this is the case, remove the domain from access, and if it's in
relaydomains, remove it from there too.

After it's removed from access, do this:

# cd /etc/mail
# makemap hash access < access

I don't think you have to restart sendmail, but I can't remember.

You should be able to eliminate all entries from both files after AUTH
is enabled (again, AFAIR. I haven't used sendmail other than for
system messages for a long time).

Steve