xorg/gnome slow on different network

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Oct 25 10:54:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, kalin mintchev wrote:

> i noticed that when i take my laptop to work and change the network
> settings in rc.conf before starting xorg after i do startx the whole
> xorg/gnome experience gets slowed down. first xorg takes it's time to
> start and then load gnome, window manager etc.
> and then all applications in gnome take about 30 - 60 seconds to start.
> when i get back home and change the rc.conf back to my home settings th
> xorg starts quickly and all the applications start at normal speed - 4 - 5
> sec.

"If it's slow but should be fast, the first thing to suspect is DNS."
(Me, trying to come up with general FreeBSD debugging rules.)

Are you using DHCP or remembering to change your DNS servers in
/etc/resolv.conf for the work network?

Of course, it might be something other than DNS.  But long timeouts are
often a sign of DNS problems.