Booting a GELI encrypted hard disk

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu Oct 25 09:05:35 PDT 2007

>  > The boot directory is different that root file system. /boot/ directory
>  > is only accessed by loader before root file system is mounted.
>
> Ah, right.  I forgot that the /boot directory is only
> accessed by the boot blocks and loader(8) during boot,
> but not by the kernel, so it isn't actually mounted.
> Once the kernel mounts its root file system, it will
> be the "real" one from the encrypted disk.

I don't know if this is absolutely true.

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't think that /boot on the encrypted
disk is necessary. I will rename the directory and reboot and see if it
barfs.

On the same track, upgrading this system has been easy so far.

I do a build/install kernel into /boot on the encrypted disk, then
simply copy the /boot/kernel directory over to the thumb drives /boot
directory.

However, making a mistake such as building and installing the wrong
kernel config without crypto and GEOM_ELI leads to all sorts of
problems. Relatively easy to recover from, but a waste of time to track
down (I posted about this to -stable this AM).

Steve