Via C7 Processor (CPU) - cpufreq and make.conf support

Ross Penner ross.penner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:25:24 PDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 01:25:51PM -0600, Ross Penner wrote:
> > > sounds reasonable. unfortunetly, 'sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq' doesn't seem to
> > > work on my system. heh, it'd probably work if I upgrade to 7.0
> >
> > Apparently I'm an idiot. the sysctl command does work. when the system
> > is mostly idle, It outputs '198' and when I put a high cpu load on it,
> > it outputs '397'. I'm not exactly sure what this means as I'm hoping
> > it doesn't refer to the MHz.
>
> I'm afraid it does;
>
> $ sysctl -d dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: Current CPU frequency
>
> When I see a CPU speed of 1 GHz in conky, I get:
>
> $ sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 1000
>
> (on my athlon64)
>
> What does 'sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels' report? It should list the
> available CPU frequencies.

I get:
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 397/-1 198/-1

Is this something I should be reporting to stable? It's not explicitly
mentioned in the hardware notes so I'm not sure if my processor is
actually supported in 6.2. Is it possible that I've been shipped the
wrong processor? If so, how would I be able to tell short of ripping
off the giant heatsink and looking?