Install on new INTEL motherboard, can't find ATA devices

Thomas David Rivers rivers at dignus.com
Wed Oct 24 10:24:36 PDT 2007

> On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 15:13 -0400, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > I just got a new INTEL motherboard - chock full of these new-fangled
> > SATA connectors... and one "legacy" ATA connector.  I moved a disk
> > drive from an older box to this new one..
> >
> > The machine can boot from the disk drive, but then after the kernel
> > is up-and-running - it can't find the drive to mount the root file
> > system.
>
> Can you paste your complete /var/run/dmesg.boot from the boot kernel?
> Did you try a 7-PRERELEASE snapshot?  Are there any modes to toggle in
> the BIOS?
>
> ~BAS

 Hi Brian,

  Thanks for your response...

  Just to fill in some more details, this is an Intel DG33BU, part
 of the Intel "Classic Series".

  I can't paste a /var/run/dmesg.boot - because, I don't have one,
 I'm trying to do an install...

  It seems to be that the BIOS treats the ATA drives as C and D;
 but after the kernel starts (after the boot) FreeBSD can't find them.
 It does find the SATA drives.

  I couldn't find anything in the BIOS regarding the drives except
 to treat the SATA drives as "legacy" or not (whatever that means...)

	- Thanks! -
	- Dave Rivers -

--
                                         Work: (919) 676-0847