if_bridge, if_tap and wireless NICs

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Wed Oct 24 08:55:30 PDT 2007

Hello,

I've finally gotten emulators/qemu to work with bridge/tap networking on
  FreeBSD-7.0-BETA1 i386 using bfe0: <Broadcom BCM4401-B0 Fast Ethernet>
For reference, I used the tutorial listed at:
http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=1563

My issue is, however, that QEMU/bridge/tap does not work with my
wireless NIC (ath0: <Atheros 5212>)

The question, is there a work-around for this issue?  My first thought
was to bridge the loopback device.  I tried adding the loopback device
lo0 to the bridge (ifconfig bridge0 addm lo0 up) but that failed with an
error (ifconfig: BRDGADD lo0: Invalid argument).

Any help, pointers is much appreciated.

--
Regards,
Doug