Buying new sound card

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 23 11:08:19 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 04:29:34PM +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> Pieter de Goeje <pieter at degoeje.nl> writes:
>
> > On Sunday 21 October 2007, Roberth Sjonøy wrote:
> >> Anyone who can confirm that a Creative SB Audigy SE PCI works with FreeBSD?
> > It doesn't work, unless you install the oss driver from
> > http://www.4front-tech.com
>
> That is not too hard ;-)
>
> > Note that in my opinion the native FreeBSD drivers are a lot better.
>
> What drivers? The ones that don't exist for the card?
>
> In my opinion the SB Audigy is a very common card that should have
> been supported long ago. On the other hand, the OSS drivers are very good.

The command 'apropos Audigy' gives: snd_emu10k1(4)

I quote:

      The snd_emu10k1 driver supports the following sound cards:

     o   Creative SoundBlaster Live! (EMU10K1 Chipset)
     o   Creative SoundBlaster Audigy (EMU10K2 Chipset)
     o   Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (EMU10K2 Chipset)
     o   Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (EMU10K3 Chipset)

I'm not sure if this is the right one, because I can't find the type of
chip used in the SE on the Creative site.

Roland