Want to upgrade sendmail in next OS release

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Mon Oct 22 21:05:24 PDT 2007

> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > 	I'd like to upgrade my sendmail version in advance of
> > upgrading to the next release of the OS. I was wondering if I
>  > .....................
> > 	I don't want to build out of ports because it is set up not to
> > override the base install.
>
> I ran into the same problem years ago, with sendmail from ports
> installing into the /usr/local path, and creating two different versions
> on the same system, and generally making a Big Mess of itself.

	What I was afraid of. And I'll admit there is a bunch of
"ASSUME" factor here. When I get on a machine running a certain OS,
I have certain expectations of whats "base" install, and what "other"
has been installed. If I want sendmail, I'd go to /etc/mail . If it
was /usr/local/etc/mail, I'd probably sit there for a few edits of
the sendmail.cf in there or something until I realized .. "OH, on
THIS machine its in /usr/local/etc/mail". I hate wasting time. :)

> But from some posts here a couple months ago, and reading the Makefile,
> I ~THINK~ it [the port] is now set up to replace the stock sendmail and
> install into the regular system paths.
>
> I'm only like 90% on this, but hopefully someone else will confirm:  I
> think the port will do what you want.

	From the Makefile :

.if exists(${DESTDIR}/etc/mail/mailer.conf) && ${PREFIX} == "/usr"
pre-everything::
        @${ECHO_CMD} "#"
        @${ECHO_CMD} "# You can't override the base sendmail this way."
        @${ECHO_CMD} "# your version FreeBSD use mailwrapper."
        @${ECHO_CMD} "#"
        @${ECHO_CMD} "# Please install with normal PREFIX"
        @${ECHO_CMD} "# and activate the port version with"
        @${ECHO_CMD} "# cd ${PORTSDIR}/mail/sendmail && make mailer.conf"
        @${ECHO_CMD} "#"
        @${FALSE}
.endif

	So atleast for /usr/ports/mail/sendmail, the answer is "No".
(Unless, I'm reading it wrong, then its either "YES", or "DEFINITE
MAYBE".)

		Tuc