Is it difficult to move from Linux?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Oct 22 17:15:48 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:33:57PM +0100, Donovan R. Palmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of reasons
> become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
> current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make the
> shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been written
> which would be useful to read?

There are lots of them.
The best thing to do is start going through the FreeBSD Handbook.
Go to:
         http://www.freebsd.org/

Click on documentation and then on the handbook.  It is all there.
The faqs and other online publications can also be helpful as well
as some books such as FreeBSD Unleashed and others, depending on
how much you want to know and how much you just want to tinker around.

Then, just download the latest RELEASE install CD, burn it and
following the Handbook, do an install.

It is structured a little differently and some names are different.
What Microsloth calls primary partitions are 'slices' in BSD and
then slices are further divided in to partitions on which you
build file systems.   The installer takes care of all that if you
want, but it helps to know.

////jerry